Posted by the Charleston Dog Bite Lawyers at Anderson & Schuster, Attorneys at Law, LLC. If you have been injured by a dog bite or attack, you may have a claim against the pet owner to recover damages caused by the bite or attack. These damages may include money to cover medical bills, money to compensate you for any scarring or permanent disfigurement, and any other form of damages that you may have experienced that resulted from the bite or attack. Call our Charleston dog bite attorneys to discuss your possible claims free of charge.
This week is National Dog Bite Prevention Week. Each year during the third full week of may, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) tries to focus its attention on educating the public about the prevention of dog bites. The AVMA estimates that there are 70 million dogs living in U.S. households and that millions of people, mostly children, are bitten by dogs every year. The AVMA believes that the majority of these bites, if not all of them, are preventable.
The following are some statistics reported by the AVMA:
- According to the Center for Disease Control, dog bites were the 11th leading cause of nonfatal injury to children ages 1-4, 9th for ages 5-9 and 10th for ages 10-14 from 2003-2012
- The Insurance Information Institute estimated that in 2013, insurers across the country paid over $483 million in dog bite claims
- According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 26,935 reconstructive procedures were performed in 2013 to repair injuries caused by dog bites
- The U.S. Postal Service reporst that 5,581 postal employees were attacked by dogs in 2013
- Children, elderly, and postal carriers are the most frequent victims of dog bites
- The American Humane Association reports that 66% of bites among children occur to the head and neck
Source: AVMA – Dog Bite Prevention Week
Charleston Dog Bite Attorneys
If you or a loved one is a victim of a dog bite or attack, our Charleston Dog Attack Lawyers may be able to help. If you have been injured by a dog bite in Charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek,Hanahan, James Island or the surrounding areas, give our dog bite attorneys a call today to discuss your dog bite case free of charge.